• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch Problem...

fasta76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2008
Lumby,BC
Tip sled on side, fill hole with water,put thread tape on puller threads and install.. should pop it right off!!

M
Feb 21, 2009
I have had really great luck with pumping grease into the hole with a grease gun, then installing the puller with thread tape on it as mentioned above (I think grease creates more hydraulic pressure than water, but I could be wrong). The trick is to tighten the puller with a wrench, then smack the end of the puller with a small sledge hammer and it will jump off in your hands... give it a try!

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
I have had really great luck with pumping grease into the hole with a grease gun, then installing the puller with thread tape on it as mentioned above (I think grease creates more hydraulic pressure than water, but I could be wrong). The trick is to tighten the puller with a wrench, then smack the end of the puller with a small sledge hammer and it will jump off in your hands... give it a try!

It is possible to bend a crank if you get carried away hitting it.

Use a new puller and either of the two hydraulic tricks, if that does not do it, warm the clutch with a heat gun and if you hit it be square, most of all be patience.

S
Feb 21, 2009
hammer

Definately need to hit it with hammer.Tighten puller down couple wacks tighten more couple more wacks should pop off. Good luck the pullers do bend..

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
It is possible to bend a crank if you get carried away hitting it.

Use a new puller and either of the two hydraulic tricks, if that does not do it, warm the clutch with a heat gun and if you hit it be square, most of all be patience.

That's the method I use. Grease and thread tape then put the heat on it sit back and have a beer and wait for it to pop off!:D

If you need a heat gun you can borrow mine. let me know.

Last edited:

1MEX

Apr 19, 2008
915 to the 801
www.wr-products.com
Tried a new puller and hit the end with a hammer. heated it, but no luck. may need to heat it longer. Will try the hudrolic idea next. Thanks all.

Can a bent puller be fixed? or will it still work?

Tried a new puller and hit the end with a hammer. heated it, but no luck. may need to heat it longer. Will try the hudrolic idea next. Thanks all.

Can a bent puller be fixed? or will it still work?

Depends where it is bent.All you need is the part with the threads up to the where your put your ratchet on .If its bent after that just grind that part off.Wrap it 2 times around with Teflon tape, tip sled on its side. Fill the whole with water, thread the bolt in and tight it with a ratchet. It will pop off and probably scare the sh@t out of you.

Good luck Cheers

S
Dec 29, 2008
White Salmon, WA
go bigger

on the hammer device. I use a sledge. Kills me to do it, but you gotta whack it fairly hard to get it to pop off. I lightly greased it when I put it back on, so hopefully next time it will come off easier. BIG reason I went with adjustable clutch weights :)

S

skimike

Dec 21, 2009
bakersfield
I used oil and a 3 lb mini sledge and it takes a good solid whack, the oil was heavier and seemed to stay in there better than water, it seems that with grease you may end up with air in there and that wouldnt work very well

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
What is the best way to remove the primary? Its been stuborn enough to the point i bent my clutch puller. Don't want to ruin another :face-icon-small-dis.... Thanks...

remove it carefully ;)

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
The oil is too messy!

Best way Ive found is a good air ratchet gun. Get a friend to hold the clutch real tight with his hands and use the lug nut gun to zap it off. Pops right off 9 times out of 10!

Doesnt work with cheap Harbor Fraight air guns. They suck!

T

troyburt

Mar 29, 2010
Newfoundland
get a big IR 3/4 inch impact on that clutch puller maybe add a little heat and it should come off. you may need to hit it but a good(not cheap) 3/4 impact should work!

A
Sep 18, 2008
fernie
simple but works every time.... I always did the hammer trick till a budy showed me his little trick. thighten that pull as tight as you can... then go grab a pot of boiling water poor it over the inside of the clutch and bang it will pop right of like a gunshot. if not a few very light taps will do it.
this has yet to fail me so giver a try

B
Oct 4, 2008
Stanwood,WA
I have great luck with a little penetrating oil or WD-40. Use the red hose nozzle and spray a little on the back side of the crank shaft and inside the bolt hole, rotate the crank a couple times to work the stuff around in there, then hit the bolt. Should be just enough to break through the rust in there without causing a big mess using boiling water or oil.

A
Sep 18, 2008
fernie
the boiling water is the way I do it and it always works... just boil a large pot. and poor it on the inside peace of the clutch..
it might take lots of water and is best if the sled is outside and cold.

this works because when the clutch was put on it was cold and the bolt that holds it to the crank was tightened, you then to the sled out and heated the clutches up ( which expands the inside peace of the clutch) allowing it to move a fraction further onto the crank making it fit tight when cold.

good luck

Premium Features