• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ultimate backcountry tool box for the M

J
Sep 27, 2013
Alright, the first time I went out with my sleds, I had nothing in my pockets.
Thanks god nothing happen.
Later down the road I went for a multiple day trip and I had a very minimalistic tool set. I broke my steering column in the field, and thanks for my tool set and the one of my buddy we manage to "fix"(ish..) and got back home.
On another multi-days trip I delaminated a belt and seized. It was a lot of work to clean up sufficiently the clutch and lot of luck that the engine re-started and stay alive back to the truck. I had a medium tool kit at the time.
For this year, I think I want to carry almost all I need to strip down the sled on the spot and fix it if I have too! Point being is that it might be less tools than I initially though.

So here is my list so far:

Screwdrivers:
Exchangeable multi bits screwdriver: set of Hexa, Torx, Flat, Square, Philips bits.
Mini flat and philips whole screwdrivers.

Pliers:
Cutting, Long nose, Adjustable pliers, adjustable wrench, locking, rubber pipe wrench.

Wrench:
6, 8, 10, 12, 14X2 mm
1/8, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 9/32, 11/32, 1/2, 9/16

Sockets:
Same as above plus extension

Drill
Fiskars Powergrip hand drills + assortment of drill bits.

Raw materials:
Steel wire, hose clamps small medium, large, set of bolts and nuts, small aluminum plate.

Electrical:
Wire, connectors, sparks plug.

Tow rope :face-icon-small-hap just in case.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Tool kit

That's a pretty good list of tools.
Thanks for posting.
I don't carry that much stuff but should.
The group I ride with is good at fixing anything to get going again.
We've removed and replaced a motor in a gully that we couldn't pull a sled up and out of. We'll rob parts from more than one sled in are group to get another sled going again.
I thought there was a back country tool kit that you could buy that had a very good selection of tools like you have listed???
Hopefully lots of guys post here with what their carrying for tools.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I came across a post a few years ago that the guy also carries a extra valve for his fox float shocks just in case he damages one on a ride. not something that would keep you from getting back to the truck but thought it was a good thing to have a spare and it doesnt add any weight. since air shocks are pretty popular today.

B
Dec 3, 2003
Cashmere, WA
I came across a post a few years ago that the guy also carries a extra valve for his fox float shocks just in case he damages one on a ride. not something that would keep you from getting back to the truck but thought it was a good thing to have a spare and it doesnt add any weight. since air shocks are pretty popular today.

Hey there... did you switch to Cat now? Not sure if you were talking about me here, but I carry extra valves for my floats. Here is a post in another thread of what all I carry.

I carry a lot in my backpack. I've been told I carry too much, but I beg to differ. Here is a list of what I carry in my backpack. Flashlight, glow sticks, avi probe, shovel, windproof lighter, matches, fire starter, mirror, whistle, compass, extra socks, extra stocking cap, extra balaclava, flashing beacon, hand warmers, toe warmers, bungee cords, bailing wire, emergency blanket, candles, bright colored ribbon, toilet paper, spare air valves (for fox floats), leathermans tool, maps, GPS, two way radio, first aid kit, survival knife, folding saw, trash bag, zip lock bags, Snobunje sled tow kit, mule tape, Bivy sack, a small Gerber hatchet and a Chainmate pocket chain saw. It seems like a lot, but really it's not. I carry a Klim Krew Pack and have plenty of room in there for some other things. I also carry a pistol with me, which some think is silly as well... to each their own. I also carry a pretty good tool kit that I made up on my sled.

Last edited:
Premium Features