• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cleaning up the old M-sled

S
Sep 8, 2014
North Denver
hi guys, I'm taking the old turbo M1000 down to her bones to check her over and one of the things i want to up date is the steering post. i want to get the telescoping post, what parts do i need to buy and is anyone parting a m-sled that has one on it?
thanks

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
You'll just have to look at a parts diagram and get everything that goes with it. Lower post, adjustment collar, snapring, seal, retaining balls, and the handlebar clamp is different too. I wouldn't buy a used one unless it was from a really low mileage sled. They tend to get slop in them over time.

K

K2

Dec 5, 2011
Anchorage AK
You'll just have to look at a parts diagram and get everything that goes with it. Lower post, adjustment collar, snapring, seal, retaining balls, and the handlebar clamp is different too. I wouldn't buy a used one unless it was from a really low mileage sled. They tend to get slop in them over time.

mine had slop in it brand new off the showroom floor

:pop2:

I upgraded to a Canada Sled Parts T top post combined with a SkiDoo adjustable riser - waaay more solid than Cat's telescopic post.

C

cantrideinmn

Jun 22, 2010
Howard Lake, mn
I ripped the base of the steering post from the bulkhead/tunnel and also broke the steering post in half a season later, both, I have heard are a common problem. There is a couple companies out there that make a kit to stiffen up the base, I believe mod rods is one of them, and you may want to take a look at the telescoping steering post from BDX. It maybe more money now but its cheaper than having a weld shop soak ya $300 to pigeon weld your junk back together so you can finish the trip, and then have to tear it all back apart to fix it right when you get back!!

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
hi guys, I'm taking the old turbo M1000 down to her bones to check her over and one of the things i want to up date is the steering post. i want to get the telescoping post, what parts do i need to buy and is anyone parting a m-sled that has one on it?

thanks

I'd recommend a XXX Modrods M-rite support and a CFR or wild child T-top post with an adjustable riser.

S
Sep 8, 2014
North Denver
Thanks guys for the input. I have bought a couple things from wild child over the years. Does his set up go up and down as easy as the cat post? For some reason I'm not hard on steering posts so the cat set up is good for me. I need to be able to lower and raise the post without tools. It's my back up sled now but the wife rides it now as her main sled and she likes the bars all the way down.

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
Thanks guys for the input. I have bought a couple things from wild child over the years. Does his set up go up and down as easy as the cat post? For some reason I'm not hard on steering posts so the cat set up is good for me. I need to be able to lower and raise the post without tools. It's my back up sled now but the wife rides it now as her main sled and she likes the bars all the way down.

Wild child's set up is just a T-top post that you can put an adjustable riser on. There is tool less hardware for the adjustable risers. They won't be as easy to adjust as a new cat post. My cat post was hard to adjust but that's probably because of running down the road on an open trailer sometimes.

Premium Features