• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Good index finger throttle option

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Those bonz mounts look pretty sweet. That definitely saves some bar space over the ones I have.

Who's making ti mountain bike bars these days? I used to have a pair on my dh bike years ago from a company out of Colorado (white brothers). They were kind of bendy (not entirely a bad thing for sledding obviously).

Just a heads up on the RSI kill switch. I do NOT like that thing. The whole idea of a kill switch to me is something you can slap at quickly. You have to hold the RSI one down for a while to kill your motor. I immediately put on a tether as soon as I saw how it worked. I'm sure lots of people on Polaris sleds would be stoked because those stock ones stick out a bit much. But I would not be comfortable with that as the only way to shut off my sled.

If I were to do it again, I'd just splice in a Polaris or skidoo one.

Looks like you're going to end up with a pretty sweet setup though.

K

K2

Dec 5, 2011
Anchorage AK
Those bonz mounts look pretty sweet. That definitely saves some bar space over the ones I have.

Who's making ti mountain bike bars these days? I used to have a pair on my dh bike years ago from a company out of Colorado (white brothers). They were kind of bendy (not entirely a bad thing for sledding obviously).

Just a heads up on the RSI kill switch. I do NOT like that thing. The whole idea of a kill switch to me is something you can slap at quickly. You have to hold the RSI one down for a while to kill your motor. I immediately put on a tether as soon as I saw how it worked. I'm sure lots of people on Polaris sleds would be stoked because those stock ones stick out a bit much. But I would not be comfortable with that as the only way to shut off my sled.

If I were to do it again, I'd just splice in a Polaris or skidoo one.

Looks like you're going to end up with a pretty sweet setup though.

the barz and shim are coming from these guys out of Portland OR - http://ticycles.com/TCF/hardware.html

Definitely installing a tether too, it's been sitting under my desk now for about a year :face-icon-small-dis
In so far as the kill switch goes you're saying you'd prefer the Poo or Doo kill switch ?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also having the Ti guys make the 2 piece shim 120mm wide as the Bonz clamp is quite a bit wider than the Doo's riser clamp, didn't want any funky stress risers ..

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
In so far as the kill switch goes you're saying you'd prefer the Poo or Doo kill switch ?

I know it's personal preference but you have to hold that RSI one down with good pressure for a good two second count. So yeah something you can hit quickly and suddenly is certainly my preference. Those things are made like that stock for a reason IMO.

Good call on the shims. I hadn't heard of that portland company (I'm 100% mountainbiker in the summer). Cool stuff.

K

K2

Dec 5, 2011
Anchorage AK
I know it's personal preference but you have to hold that RSI one down with good pressure for a good two second count. So yeah something you can hit quickly and suddenly is certainly my preference. Those things are made like that stock for a reason IMO.

Good call on the shims. I hadn't heard of that portland company (I'm 100% mountainbiker in the summer). Cool stuff.

I hear ya on the instantaneous kill.
So without looking, the Poo and Doo kill switches are independent of the throttle block unlike the Cat's ?

( hardcore summertime MTB'er here too ... that is when I'm not yanking the throttle on the KTM ) :face-icon-small-hap

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I hear ya on the instantaneous kill.
So without looking, the Poo and Doo kill switches are independent of the throttle block unlike the Cat's ?

All they are is a circuit breaker. Watercraft, atvs......two wires and a two position slappy thing.

I've had polaris and skidoo sleds that both have the kind I'm thinking about that's why I mentioned them. Go Pre-m series and there are probably some AC ones that would work as well.

flatspeed

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
Sicamous, BC
Btw, without a handguard, you just keep the middle finger behind the throttle as you hit a tree... that way if it hits the throttle, it's no big deal, and you're still in control. I currently don't have handguards on my 13. Obviously I'd prefer to have them though.

I'm running stock flipper in the trigger finger position and it's hard not to have your middle finger caught behind the lever, the only way around it would be to cut the lever down or ride with my hand way on the outside of the bar - which I'm doing, and it sucks.

Kid woo, do you have that problem with your aftermarket lever? I see you mentioned it has better throw..

K

K2

Dec 5, 2011
Anchorage AK
Kid woo, do you have that problem with your aftermarket lever? I see you mentioned it has better throw..

flatspeed,
depending on if you decide to get a Lefty's or not, the one Kidwoo's got ( same as the one I just ordered ) isn't shown on Lefty's site.
So I got ahold of Jason at Lefty's and sent him a link to this thread so he could I.D. it and sure enough it's not on the site but it is obviously available.

It's the Left Hand Throttle Block Assy. and they go for $58.40 U.S. which includes shipping in the U.S.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
a stock polaris kill switch will fit perfectly in a kill switch strap for an XP.

I used one of them to relocate my switch on my 11 Pro because I kept hitting it going through the trees.

The strap is less than $3 and you could steal a switch off of an old sled cheaper than the RSI switch and then it would give you the slap to kill it reaction rather than holding it.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I'm running stock flipper in the trigger finger position and it's hard not to have your middle finger caught behind the lever, the only way around it would be to cut the lever down or ride with my hand way on the outside of the bar - which I'm doing, and it sucks.

That's the main reason I used it vs. the stock lever or a bunch of other things I tried. It's definitely better. I'm no ape and there's a position I can keep my hands where the index finger had full range from open to pinned. I looked at mountain bike brake levers, goldfingers (not nearly enough cable throw) and a bunch of other stuff. There might be better but this is the best option for avoiding what you describe that I've found.

But yeah if the stock lever didn't have that long swing, I'd still be using it. The lefty is for sure shorter. I just spent a few hours dorking around on a road here to check out some snow conditions and at 1/4 throttle it'll still tire your finger out just like a thumb throttle. I just rotate between index and middle fingers.

K

K2

Dec 5, 2011
Anchorage AK
The same RSI that makes sled stuff?

Can't find it searching.

I looked at RSI's site the other day myself and couldn't find it either - OTOH I got my Lefty's in yesterday, nice piece, Ti flat bar/shim should be showing up anytime

:face-icon-small-hap
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still no workable snow though with a fairly sizable cold high pressure system moving in statewide with no snow in the immediate forecast - boilerplate conditions up to 3500', above that windslab, cornices and exposed rock - you fall you best have a means of arresting yourself 8(

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
So is the lefty's closer to the bar?

I've got mine cut down, makes it a little closer tot he bar, and the block is scooted over a bit so that it's a one finger operation in my normal hand position... I've been doing 1-2 finger deals for so long that I'm still not 100% used to it, but it's a tad smoother this way.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
So is the lefty's closer to the bar?

I've got mine cut down, makes it a little closer tot he bar, and the block is scooted over a bit so that it's a one finger operation in my normal hand position... I've been doing 1-2 finger deals for so long that I'm still not 100% used to it, but it's a tad smoother this way.

The pivot swing is the same as the stock lever (at least on cats, don't remember where the canadian pivot is). The pivot is right at the midline of the bar. So you probably have something pretty close to what the lefty one does if you cut it down. The lefty is a lot more ergonomic but with the pivot in the same spot and the cable throw the same (again, on a CAT throttle body) you might be able to get something really really similar if not identical.

I poked around at some higher elevations over this past weekend and actually got into some good snow (like don't step off your sled kinda stuff). Friggin loving this setup. The flatter bars and the lefty.

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
Did a little modding to the stock bars last night. Trimmed 7/8" off the ends and slid everything to centre 1 inch on both sides. 16 1/2" from the edge of thumb warner to throttle lever. Will try this and thought if I need to narrower there is room to cut the bars in half and cut a small section out and sleave it for strength.

image.jpg

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Check out munsterfingerthrottles.com coming out with a proper right hand finger throttle the way it should be

Looks like they're JUST doo... odd. awful proud of that thing considering that flipping the throttle on the bar is free & takes 45 seconds. Btw, not sure if anyone noticed, but some of the new doos now come with throttles that are intended to flip to finger. I had a shoot on one last year before they came out, I thought it was going to be the whole line though... just a few of them.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Kinda pricey for something that won't plug into cat heater wires. Is it even the same cable throw? That pivot location makes me think it's not.

Good to see people making this kind of thing though.

T
Nov 26, 2014
So is the throttle comfortable I am missing my thumb and a couple fingers and use a gold finger as my primary throttle which works but cable stretches and breaks or freezes up and after a hard day your finger hurts so I'm looking for something reliable and comfortable

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
The one I use has a little more lever throw than the gold finger. The first day of the season my finger does get a little tired. But it used to be my thumb the first day of every season so it's kind of a wash.

I personally think the throw of the goldfinger is awesome. I just couldn't use it as a full replacement because it didn't have enough throw to cover idle to WOT.

It's worth a shot with the lefty.

Premium Features