• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M8 Sp VS HCR powder

C
Sep 19, 2013
Lumby, BC
Hey guys looking for a bit of advice... Maybe you can help a fella out.

I'm looking to upgrade from my 2003 Mountain Cat 900 151 to something a bit newer.
I'd like to stick with Cat but a good sleds a good sled. I'm looking at the 08-12 M8s. A buddy said to try and stick with 2010s and up, any reason in particular? There's a lot of 07-09 M8s in BC for good prices ($3800-4500).

I'm willing to spend $5-6k if it's reliable and low km. I've seen some 2009/10 HCRs on kijiji for decent prices ($6ish) but was told by my dirtbike mechanic at valley moto that they're not that good in powder and more for spring only riding compared to the Snow Pro model.

I want a good all around mountain sled. I'm in the north Okanagan and plan on doing some day trips to Revy as its only 1.5 hrs away.

Any input or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks a bunch!

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Last M was 2011 and it was the best M, 2012 was first year of Pro climb

every year M is better than the previous year, 10 and 11 are near the same but 11 ran a little better

HCR is not really a powder sled

zachman33

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2011
Washington
from the 09 145hp to the 2010-11 HO motor 165 HP.
I would get a 162 SP if possible

X2 on what av8er said. I love my 09 M8, but dads 11 M8 sno pro just seems to run better and have more get up and go. Find 162 sno pro hopefully with a 2.6 on it or X3, tune it up and let er rip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C
Jan 14, 2012
Ya the 10-11's have the HO motor. but I wouldn't pass up a good deal on a 09, put an SLP pipe kit on it and be very close to the HO motor.

The main differences are the HCR has a wider ski stance, and a stiffer track.

C
Sep 19, 2013
Lumby, BC
Alright
Thanks for the input guys!

I'll keep looking for a snow pro, still have another month before the snow hits.

Would it be expensive/worth it, to do a track swap on a 2010 or 11 HCR?
To say the current line of arctic cat 2.6" PC track?

zachman33

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2011
Washington
Alright

Thanks for the input guys!

I'll keep looking for a snow pro, still have another month before the snow hits.

Would it be expensive/worth it, to do a track swap on a 2010 or 11 HCR?

To say the current line of arctic cat 2.6" PC track?

Everyone has different opinions on the 2.6. I put the 2.6 on my 09' M8, and re-clutched it and was a night and days difference. A "poor mans" turbo haha! But you might be able to find a sled with one on it or buy one for a good price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have an 09 Sno Pro 153". I put a 2.6" Power Claw on it and it became an animal. It came back over on me 3 times on one ride while climbing. I had to adjust the suspension to stop it.

Yes, a SLP pipe will bring you close to 160 hp. I also added the SLP porting and head work (Stage III kit) which brings you very close to 170hp. I still love my M8 but, I started riding snowbikes last year and unfortunately, my sled didn't get much use.

Good luck.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
To put it simple:
An HCR is a M8 Sno-Pro with a Crossfire front end(43in wide vs 40in wide)
If you do a decent about of trail riding or dont plan on doing any "side hilling" then the HCR is a perfect sled.
I own a 2010 HCR and love it, but the front end was an issue for me, I did a standard M8 swap(300$) and its now a M8 Snopro with HCR decals.
The thing I like about the HCR is alot more parts are powder coated, all the springs are titanium, and a 4 wheel kit in the rear. Just some little things that they have added. Basically if i were you and you find a smoking deal on one(like i did) buy it and tinker with it to suet your needs.
They BEST thing about owning an HCR is...everyone asks you what it stands for. And you answer "Hill Climb RACER!"

C
Sep 19, 2013
Lumby, BC
Yeah don't do much trail riding other then the cpl km/miles up to the steep n deep stuff, ride around my home town in the Kootenys a lot.

Basically just looking for something that will handle better and lighter then the mountain cat 151" without loosing the power of the 900 ;).

IF i can get the guy down a lil to maybe $5700 ill take it, Then maybe toss a 2.5 or 2.6" 153 on it with the extra money!:face-icon-small-hap

I would love to let ppl know what the HCR really means as well!

http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/2010_arctic_cat_for_only_6000/2096459/

M

meierjn

Nov 11, 2008
To put it simple:
An HCR is a M8 Sno-Pro with a Crossfire front end(43in wide vs 40in wide)
If you do a decent about of trail riding or dont plan on doing any "side hilling" then the HCR is a perfect sled.
I own a 2010 HCR and love it, but the front end was an issue for me, I did a standard M8 swap(300$) and its now a M8 Snopro with HCR decals.
The thing I like about the HCR is alot more parts are powder coated, all the springs are titanium, and a 4 wheel kit in the rear. Just some little things that they have added. Basically if i were you and you find a smoking deal on one(like i did) buy it and tinker with it to suet your needs.
They BEST thing about owning an HCR is...everyone asks you what it stands for. And you answer "Hill Climb RACER!"

I just bought a 2011 HCR. I am looking forward to riding the HCR. I'm a pretty "decent" sized guy and don't foresee any issues tossing it around. however, I am curious what the "$300 M8" swap" is. I am assuming you are replacing some "stuff" to make it a bit more narrow in the front end? Thanks in advance for your replies!

Last edited:

zachman33

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2011
Washington
I just bought a 2011 HCR. I am looking forward to riding the HCR. I'm a pretty "decent" sized gut and don't foresee any issues tossing it around. however, I am curious what the "$300 M8" swap" is. I am assuming you are replacing some "stuff" to make it a bit more narrow in the front end? Thanks in advance for your replies!

You are taking the front end off of a standard M8 or snopro and putting it on the HCR. When I did my buddies we change all a-arms and spindles were from an 07' (tighter turning radius) then sent the shocks to Rigby idaho to get shortened and revalved. It's been 5 years since we did it. But I think that's all we changed.

It makes your stance narrower, sled more nimble, and easier to keep on edge IMO.

C
Sep 19, 2013
Lumby, BC
Camo Extreme

So the HCR that I can get has a some missing lugs in the stock track but otherwise in good shape for $5800 and 3000km.

Hes willing to sell me a 2.5" Camoplast Extreme Track for $350, its the one with straight paddles compared to the one with serrated tip paddles like my old 151" Challenger.

Whats the difference between the two Camo Extremes 2.5s? Is one better for a certain kind of riding? Is one a spring only track, harder/softer?

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
add the extra money and the the PC 2.6 80 duro. and dont look back!!! you can get them off ebay for 750ish to you door US.:face-icon-small-ton:wine:

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
So the HCR that I can get has a some missing lugs in the stock track but otherwise in good shape for $5800 and 3000km.

Hes willing to sell me a 2.5" Camoplast Extreme Track for $350, its the one with straight paddles compared to the one with serrated tip paddles like my old 151" Challenger.

Whats the difference between the two Camo Extremes 2.5s? Is one better for a certain kind of riding? Is one a spring only track, harder/softer?

I don't know how the different tracks compare but I have the straight paddle camo extreme 2.5 and it's a great track. For $350 I'd definitely take it.

C
Sep 19, 2013
Lumby, BC
Hmm yeah?
Thats an idea eh, Yeah well maybe get the C/E 2.5 and sell it and try find a PC 2.6.
Being from Idaho i'm sure the riding conditions are very similar to BC, you like the power claw for most conditions? (early season Soft/Deep Pow and Hard Spring snow)

Premium Features