• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 m7 Brake assembly bearing replacement

D
Oct 12, 2014
Anyone have any tips or trick on removing the bearings in the brake assembly?

Ive tried
Puller
Hammer
lube

All has not even budged it.

tundramonkey

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
MN
There is a clip between the bearings, so you need to drive out the bearing that faces the tunnel first. To do this you need to shift the spacer that sits between the bearings from side to side so you can drive the bearing out. Then remove the clip and drive out the inner bearing.

D
Oct 12, 2014
There is a clip between the bearings, so you need to drive out the bearing that faces the tunnel first. To do this you need to shift the spacer that sits between the bearings from side to side so you can drive the bearing out. Then remove the clip and drive out the inner bearing.

Whats the best way to get the brake assembly off the shaft. I cannot get it off the shaft. Thats my first issue. Once its off of the shaft what you told me is very helpful thank you!

Last edited:

tundramonkey

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
MN
I'm assuming you have already removed the diamond drive and the nut on the brake side of the drive shaft. If not, remove those. The drive shaft is most likely frozen on the bearings. Thread the drive shaft nut over just a few threads on the drive shaft to protect the threads. Use a short piece of 2x4 placed length wise. Place that against the drive shaft and use the biggest hammer you have to break the drive shaft free.

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
2x4 will break 9 times out of 10. Get a cap that fits inside of the driveshaft, some people have used the bearing driver kit from BDX and use a brass hammer. That will get it loose.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I turned a piece of steel down so it fit on the end of the shaft and had to use I think a 10lb sledge to get mine to budge. This was after beating the crap out of several pieces of 2x4 with no luck. They weld themselves on there pretty good with time.

Sent from my phone using tapatalk

Premium Features