• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 M8 convert too carburator

N
May 28, 2010
Hello, i'm woundring if anyone have tried too remove the EFI system from the engine and convertet it too carburator?

Becuse i know the EFI is not tooo happy about water, and was planing too build it too a watercross sled.

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
Hello, i'm woundring if anyone have tried too remove the EFI system from the engine and convertet it too carburator?

Becuse i know the EFI is not tooo happy about water, and was planing too build it too a watercross sled.

It would be way more work than its worth... youd be better off spending your time and money on waterproofing the sled.

N
May 28, 2010
Put it in a plastic out door waterproof electrical box and silicon the wire entry. The carb sleds have ecu's too!

yeah iknow they have, but it seems like those can handle water better...

And the real problem is the EFI.. it cant handle water

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
if you did do it the only way I would is to use smart carbs, not sure if they are setup right but on bikes its the only way to go, in fact most are seeing better performance and tuning removing the efi and putting them on.

K

K2

Dec 5, 2011
Anchorage AK
if you did do it the only way I would is to use smart carbs, not sure if they are setup right but on bikes its the only way to go, in fact most are seeing better performance and tuning removing the efi and putting them on.

Just installed 36mm billet $mart carbs on both my 200 and 250 KTM's this season. Sweet piece of engineering, set 'em and forget 'em ..

http://www.powerapt.com/smartcarb.php

IMGP0980.jpg IMGP0976.jpg

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I talked to a guy once that put carbs on an M1000. He unplugged the fuel injectors, zip-tied them under the engine, and just put carbs on in their place. Still used the EFI ECU for the timing, so that probably doesn't help you much.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
I talked to a guy once that put carbs on an M1000. He unplugged the fuel injectors, zip-tied them under the engine, and just put carbs on in their place. Still used the EFI ECU for the timing, so that probably doesn't help you much.

Thats the way I would be thinking also, just use rack carbs w a TPS.
But really it would be a waist of time unless you have cash to burn and time to waste.

G
Apr 23, 2008
all of the race 1000 twin cats ( drag raced ) were carb conversions.
d and d can set you up with the part numbers too..

you can find a 2002, 2014 OEM Cat snoxer. strip it of all its electrics and carbs and good to go!!! plus you can get the cdi programed in anyway you like thru the race dept at cat..

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
Been sinking EFI cats since 03 from F7s to whatever, only problems we have had is once winter hit the servo motors would either **** the bed or fuel pump would. Never a injector or ECU problem.

Premium Features