• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 M8: Dalton Weights, where to start

T
Nov 18, 2008
Maine
I just purchased a 2011 M8. It has the Dalton Weights on it. I am in low altitude (0-3000 feet). I am looking for information on how these work. I am not having luck with finding information online. Looking for what you guys run for setups on your sleds.

Also, if you have any information on adding/removing weight on the heel vs toe and what this would do to the performance that would be great. I am not real sure how clutch weights works as far as adding weight to the heel vs toe.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The hooper style weights that Dalton & Cutler sell IMO work best when loaded about 50% and from the heel. (for mountain riding, for drags you want more toe weight)

Obviously that all depends on whether you bought the right weight to be able to have it loaded 1/2 way...

As to the how... super easy, don't even need to spread the clutch, just pull the old set screw from the heel (assuming someone didn't load it from the toe) and replace that set screw with the new one that is bigger or smaller. You can also stack them if you need a weight between what you have or just need more than the biggest.

IMO they're the best adjustable out there, never had an issue with one. (aside from trying to get them OFF!)

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
Heel (close to pin) weight affects beginning of shift (slow speeds)
Toe weight affects end of shift (high speeds)
More heel weight = better low speed (crawling)
More toe weight = better high speed

T
Nov 18, 2008
Maine
So I pulled out the screws the prior owner had in the weights. He had screwed the 1/2" completely in, the 1/4" screwed in next all the way, and then the 1" to finish it off. This gives a weight of 74.4.

I am trying to understand how to add weight to the heel instead of toe, because if I am understanding this he had the weight more on toe than heel. I also though I would take a little weight out. Would I just leave the 1/2" screw out and then screw the 1/4" screw in just enough to get the 1" screw in after and have the 1" screw tight against the 1/4" screw but have it just flush with the outside of the weight itself?

Having the 1/4" and the 1" will give a weight of 72.5. Cat recommended 71.9 for 0-3000 ft, and on here it was 73.5 so this would be in between those two....

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
So I pulled out the screws the prior owner had in the weights. He had screwed the 1/2" completely in, the 1/4" screwed in next all the way, and then the 1" to finish it off. This gives a weight of 74.4.

I am trying to understand how to add weight to the heel instead of toe, because if I am understanding this he had the weight more on toe than heel. I also though I would take a little weight out. Would I just leave the 1/2" screw out and then screw the 1/4" screw in just enough to get the 1" screw in after and have the 1" screw tight against the 1/4" screw but have it just flush with the outside of the weight itself?

Having the 1/4" and the 1" will give a weight of 72.5. Cat recommended 71.9 for 0-3000 ft, and on here it was 73.5 so this would be in between those two....

I dont see what you are confused about?? You want more weight in the heel, so put the biggest set screw in first and then next biggest, and so on. Tighten each screw all the way down. and load the tip with whatever gram needed to finish it off. Run the sled and tune with the set screws until you get your preferred rpms, thats what the adjustable part is for.

T
Nov 18, 2008
Maine
I dont see what you are confused about?? You want more weight in the heel, so put the biggest set screw in first and then next biggest, and so on. Tighten each screw all the way down. and load the tip with whatever gram needed to finish it off. Run the sled and tune with the set screws until you get your preferred rpms, thats what the adjustable part is for.

I guess I just dont understand exactly which end is the heel and toe. I thought the heel was the end that I insert the screw through.... The way this is explained sounds backwards to me..... this is what I am confused about. Isnt the heel the end that pivots and the toe is the end that is farther in, and the screws go in from the heel towards the toe, therefore to load heel I would not screw all the way in....?

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
I guess I just dont understand exactly which end is the heel and toe. I thought the heel was the end that I insert the screw through.... The way this is explained sounds backwards to me..... this is what I am confused about. Isnt the heel the end that pivots and the toe is the end that is farther in, and the screws go in from the heel towards the toe, therefore to load heel I would not screw all the way in....?

I meant the smallest set screw in the tip and the next biggest in through the heel ending with the biggest screw.

Premium Features