• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alternative impact 36" M-chassis a arm kit

K

K2

Dec 5, 2011
Anchorage AK
Has anyone got a chance to ride with these A arms yet?

I talked to Ken at Magic Mountain in Edmonton a week and a half/two weeks ago and at that point in time he had had just a short blip on them, sounded like just 'behind the shop' on account of lack of snow.

I'm no help up here on account my shocks are finally on their way back from getting shortened at Raptor - but for that matter it doesn't matter if I had the shocks or not 'cause we got zero snow with unrelenting, unseasonably warm weather with no significant relief in sight ... :face-icon-small-dis

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
I haven't had any feed back to report but will post as soon as I know anything. I'm not always the first to know these things unless there is a problem of coarse. I just don't think there is enough snow in most places.
Dan

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
Finally got out for a little field rip finally. All I can say is wow! Can easy manipulate front end with a suttle body shift and no counter steering. The xm shocks are much smoother than my air shocks were. Thinking I might have wasted my money on ordering a promotion. Haven't put it on yet might wait for a trip or 2 to try it. Anyways thanks ALT, great product!

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks for the update niner. So, you don't think the narrower A arms will make the sled TOO tippy and unpredictable?

However, I don't understand this part of your post. For some reason, I'm just not following what you mean below.

"Thinking I might have wasted my money on ordering a promotion. Haven't put it on yet might wait for a trip or 2 to try it."

What promotion are you referring to?

Last edited:

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
I ordered the ice age promotion for the rear skid. With the narrowed front end it handles so much better that I'm not sure it needs anymore help.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Keep the floats. Send them in to has shock repair. They do great work and only $50/ shock. They are in Idaho. 208-716-0475

Dan

If you just get the travel reduced, he does them even cheaper. That's what I did. Including 16 bucks for shipping both ski shocks were about 70 bucks total.

A little cheaper (by almost half) than the estimate I got from somewhere else.

But working off the leverage ratio of the M series a-arms, the travel shortened option should give you 7.84" of front travel. Just short of an XM 8" of travel and just shy of an inch and a half of the stock 9.2" of travel of a stock m sled (in case anyone cares). I'm cool with that.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Kidwoo, thanks for sharing!

So, the shorter shocks may lower the ride height of the sled a small amount?

Also, thanks Dan. I will give Andy Youngman a call and have him shorten up my floats to..... what was the ideal overall length again, 16 1/2"? Right?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
So, the shorter shocks may lower the ride height of the sled a small amount?

That just depends on where you run your sag point....which is obviously infinitely adjustable with the air shocks. I still haven't gotten my arms but they should keep the skis at the same height when the shocks are fully extended...just further in. So you'd run a little more pressure for less travel.

I don't know.....I think of this stuff in terms of bike suspension with percentages sag. If you go with 30% or so, 30% with 9.2" of travel would be less pressure than 30% sag with 7.8" of travel. Ride height should kind of be a non-issue.

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
Why the hate for the xm shock? Are they to soft? I felt I had to run 130 psi in air shock to get it to ride like I wanted up top in the deep snow. But rode horrible on the trail. Just wondering if I should be sending my air shocks in to get shortened so they are ready.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I should mention I had my floats completely rebuilt last year. They're far from stock valving. They actually work really well now. I had no reason to NOT use them.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I had Andy revalve my shocks a few years ago and I have been happy with them ever since as well. I guess if they work and I can have them modded to continue to work with the narrower A arms for a low price, I may as well keep them.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Mine showed up today. Got one side on......I forgot how annoying changing a-arms on these things is.

How much of the steering tie rod are you guys cutting off?

Gotta hunt down a tap tomorrow and find some new bolts. My shlt was BENT UP! :lol:

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
This how long I made mine and could make it work but wish I had made them 1/2" longer. Got a little happy with the lathe. Ordered a new set and will make them longer. I could only thread one end as the other is reverse thread. I cut a little of the bolt closest to the bulkhead to get a little more room.

image.jpg

Premium Features