• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alternative impact 36" M-chassis a arm kit

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
I just got it close with a zip cut and had about 2" of toe in. Then kind of guessed with the lathe what would be close. Ended up with more threads showing than I like. So it doesn't take much when you factor your moving both sides when adjusting toe in. I can take some better pics tonight of my finished length. But 1/2" longer will be very close.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
I have my A arms on also but waiting to get the shocks on.
Niner what length for the aluminium shaft, from the pic it looked like 10 3/4"

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
Guys the best way to determine an over all length is to give it of "just" the tie rod itself without the rod ends. In my mind that is less confusing for everybody. When I did the mock up I did not cut tie rods because it was a loner sled and meant for a one off job to be finished by mountain magic. Didn't think it would go as far as it has,so for that I apologize. Niner sounds like you will have it figured out tonight. My safe guess would be 1" off the stock length. That's not what it works out to when you do the math but it's what I come up with according to all my other narrowing kits. On the pro 36" kit (39-36=3 divide by 2 =1.5" but it's never that much) it's 1-1/4" to cut off. I like a little adjustment for ski realignment but I don't care for an inch of thread showing on the rod ends either. They all look great guys. I think this is going to transform this somewhat older chassis into a really fun boon docker. Thanks for all the feed back from everyone!
Dan

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Heh....I just got everything on but still haven't cut mine. I came in from the garage to see what length rod I needed.

It's looking like it's safe to say just 10" probably?

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
10" should work. The best would be to cut a bit longer till you get it really close then clean up with a lathe.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Robbed!!!!

Got both sides on minus the rods. They look great. Way better than that machine mig welded mess that holds together to the stock ones.

What's everybody's favorite toe? Two inches out?

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
What's everybody's favorite toe? Two inches out?

I'm curious to hear this!

Interesting note, I didn't have to use the new tie rods that come with Z-Bros kit. The arms aren't much narrower than stock. Hope I bend them so I can buy a set from Dan.

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
I would love to send a set your way. Sorry but the lathe package deal has expired. All kidding aside and for what it's worth everything we set up in the shop as far as toe is according to customer preference. Most do not know what to set them at. Ten different guys I'm afraid will yield probably 8 different answers. Myself I prefer a straight ski. Error on the side of toe out. I'm curious as to what other will say. Thanks!
Dan

Last edited:
K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
It's tempting to buy yours and sell my Z Bros...

I set toe out at a 1/4 inch off center line on each ski so 1/2 inch. That's my contribution to this game!

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Is there a stock tie rod part number that is already the proper length we need for those of us that do not have a lathe? It would be nice to just be able to order a couple steering rods that are just the right length.

I went from 09 spindles back to 07 spindles a few years back for the power steering like feel of the older spindles. I had to do some messing with length then as well.

Based on swapping spindles, I suspect that the steering rod lengths may need to be different based on the year of the sled? However, maybe I am wrong?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Hey niner, is your sled an 08 or earlier? Mine's a 2010 and 10 1/8" completely bottomed out is still toeing the skis in. I'm going to have to cut them shorter.

Do we have different spindles?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Huh......

I just cut mine down further to 9 3/4 and that looks pretty money. I'll get it fine tuned and see how far out I need to go. The threads of the tie rod ends will still be mostly seated though.

Premium Features