• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch Problem...

B
Dec 14, 2010
Colorado
bolt, oil, thread-tape, and a strong @$$ rod

For people that do not want to order a puller or are in a hurry, do this it will work!
I tried everything prior and this finally worked:

I did not have a clutch puller so used a grade 8 bolt (don't use anything less or it could break off in there or strip) that threaded into the primary clutch and a rod that was smaller in diameter than the original bolt that screws into the crank (so it did not mess up the threads VERY IMPORTANT). I cut that rod so it went in all the way and a good 1/4 inch of the threads were showing in the primary clutch so the grade 8 bolt had enough threads so it didn't strip. Put the rod in and then thread the bolt in. After bending a few rods, and bolts. I took a allen wrench and cut it to the right length but cutting the L shape off (same length as the rods previously described). This metal is very strong. I still couldn't get it off, even after trying the water method, hitting it with a hammer etc.

Using the same method with the bolt and the allen wrench I put thread tape on the bolt, a lot of it, tipped the sled on its side and poured oil into the primary clutch (this serves as a hydraulic), and then dropped in the cut allen wrench (rod), and started threading the grade 8 bolt. Then as quickly as possible thread the bolt in and God willing the clutch will pop off. The rod along with the oil creates enough pressure to pop it off.

If you have a clutch puller, in some cases that is not enough so in addition tape it with thread tape and use the oil as well, I have read a lot of people bending and breaking their pullers. The oil works awesome and is better than water because it is thicker and seals easier.

The reason I did what I did is I did not have time to order in a clutch puller.
Make sure you use a rod that is very strong because weaker metal will bend and could flare on the end which could get stuck in the crank threads.

Things I tried before I figured this out that did not work (mine was stuck on there good):
-bolt with thread tape and water
-bolt with metal rods
-pressure on it over night
-bolt with thread tape and oil
-bolt with rod and pouring boiling water over it
-etc

Hope everyone has better luck than I did, if not try this. Hope it made sense

T
Sep 19, 2014
SD
hard clutch removing

I had an f700 clutch that we tightened up the clutch remover an then heated the center of the clutch(not red hot) until it blew at like a bomb an landed 15 ft away,wrap a rag between the engine seal an clutch an keep puttiong water there to keep it cool.

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
Kudos to those who have given ideas to get these crazy things off. I tried both hydraulic oil and water, tapped on the bolt with a hammer,but the thing didn't budge until I did the boiling water trick. That did it. A big THANK YOU Guys.

Premium Features