• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another newb M7 clutch question

S
Oct 25, 2013
Having few troubles getting my '05 M7 lined up. For primary I have an '03 F7 clutch with new Yellow/White AC spring and 75g weights, front motor plate to back side of sheave is 0.563" and the rear is 0.538". Belt to sheave clearance on new 046 belt is .020".
I have a 10.4 secondary with new orange spring and shift assist and stock deflection adjuster bolt. I am using the 1.507" alignment bar. When l line it up as per the service manual i have 0.69" between the bar and primary sheave. I have 0 shims on the DD shaft and need to move the secondary in. How can I do this if there are no shims to remove? I also measured from the motor plate to the inner edge of the outer sheave on the secondary and its 3.25" and I understand it should be closer to 3.125". Does this mean that I have to somehow move the primary out? Ive also read that I could machine the secondary so it will sit farther in?
What have other guys done to get this to line up or can I just run it as is.
Any help would be great.
Thanks

Last edited:
A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
first off an 03 f7 clutch is only an 8" diameter clutch, and the m7s run an 8.25" clutch. As well as the 03 clutches not using set screw weights, like the rest of the 04+ clutches. Id try to find an 04 or newer drive clutch.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
You still have the chain case on that one so you should be able to just take a little off the center of the secondary. I would check it first and make sure you have the clearance, there is not any when they went to the DD but the chain case style should clear.

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
You still have the chain case on that one so you should be able to just take a little off the center of the secondary. I would check it first and make sure you have the clearance, there is not any when they went to the DD but the chain case style should clear.

Wrong... No m series had a chain case...

M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
Yea no chain case its a DD. Anyone else with any insight? Do I have to use a 04+ Primary?
You'll be fine with the 03 primary. You just need to go down to a 70g weight cause the non set screw style swings easier. Stock 70g from an 03 f7 work great. Abandon the alignment bar, try floating the secondary. Worked for me. Just pull the secondary bolt out and run the sled up to 5000 rpm on a stand and let it roll to a stop. Shut it off and measure to motor plate and to dd case. Then shim sec to 1.506. Other try taking some material off the backside of the secondary where it bottoms to dd output shaft. Some dd secondaries have different depths

S
Oct 25, 2013
You'll be fine with the 03 primary. You just need to go down to a 70g weight cause the non set screw style swings easier. Stock 70g from an 03 f7 work great. Abandon the alignment bar, try floating the secondary. Worked for me. Just pull the secondary bolt out and run the sled up to 5000 rpm on a stand and let it roll to a stop. Shut it off and measure to motor plate and to dd case. Then shim sec to 1.506. Other try taking some material off the backside of the secondary where it bottoms to dd output shaft. Some dd secondaries have different depths

Ok great thanks for the help. I'll do this with the 75g weights in and see what RPMs im getting and adjust from there. Is it correct that I am looking for about 7850RPM?

Also whats the best way to remove the material on the back of the secondary while keeping it as smooth and flat as possible?

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
Ok great thanks for the help. I'll do this with the 75g weights in and see what RPMs im getting and adjust from there. Is it correct that I am looking for about 7850RPM?

Also whats the best way to remove the material on the back of the secondary while keeping it as smooth and flat as possible?

You will be way better off just buying the right clutch.. why mess with having to machine your clutches etc, and having to use a different pin set up in the primary. Sell the primary you have and find an 04+. Save yourself the hassle.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
You will be way better off just buying the right clutch.. why mess with having to machine your clutches etc, and having to use a different pin set up in the primary. Sell the primary you have and find an 04+. Save yourself the hassle.

X2!! Just sell whatever it is you have now and get the right primary. It will save you time, money, headache in the long run. Use those brain cells for figuring out how to skip out of work to ride instead of pasting together a half *** drive train.

S
Oct 25, 2013

X2!! Just sell whatever it is you have now and get the right primary. It will save you time, money, headache in the long run. Use those brain cells for figuring out how to skip out of work to ride instead of pasting together a half *** drive train.

Ok once the budget allows I will be in the market and keep an eye on the classifieds here in the meantime. Thanks again

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Just keep an eye out for a deal on any m7 or m8 clutch up to present day, doesn't need to be m/f7 specific. My m7 is currently sporting a '14 clutch.

Premium Features