• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shocks?

montananate

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
Great Falls, MT
I am currently running Fox Float2s on the front of my 2008 M1000, and I am not impressed with air shocks in the least. I know the big selling point is weight savings but I would prefer more performance and better handling and a heavier sled over a light sh**ty handling sled. So the question is what do you guys think I should do this season?

Re-valve the fox float2s and maybe run an add on ressy like a nextech or fett brothers.

Float 2 to Evol upgrade kit (314.00 for the parts kit from Country Cat) Then who do I send it to for the install and valving?

Bite the Bullet and look for a set of 17.5" or 18" center to center used zbros exit remote ressies before the season and have them re-sprung and valved.

Im not planing on selling this sled so Im not to worried about putting more money in it. That being said, I want to spend the least amount of money this season on getting shocks unless Im just throwing money out the window screwing around with the float2s and should just do what I am eventually planning on doing down the line and go to the Exits. Now that I have successfully confused everyone any thoughts? Also rider weight with gear is probably going to be 240-260#s with gear and spare fuel.

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
shocks

go with what you like and can afford.

both styles can be made pretty trick. just having them rebuilt is a good start.

what about them dont you like? the rebound? the compression ?

montananate

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
Great Falls, MT
I guess it is the constant fiddling with them trying to dial them in. zip ties, checking pressure, airing down, airing up, checking zip ties again for travel. Checking pressure at altitude before each ride to ensure nothing has changed. I just feel like there has got to be a better set up that I can dial in and drive it like I stole it. I don't mind tuning but at some point I would like to just unload and pin it. The other thing I don't enjoy is the harshness of an air shock it seems that at least to me there is no sweet spot in the travel on an air shock it seems hard from initiation all the way to the bottom. I guess my biggest question is are fox shocks worth upgrading or will I just be spending money I could have used to upgrade to Zbros. Some of you guys out there have to have had some experience with the evol upgrade if I can get better ride and handling out of it I am not totally against staying with fox shocks just want to see what everybody else's thoughts were. Want to get the most bang for my buck and make the most informed decision. Thanks Nate

Last edited:

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I never was a fan of my Float's either. I just think it's stupied that people spend big $$$ to upgrade their Pro's and XM's with floats.
Look into getting them filled with Nitrogen. Nitrogen wont increase or decrease pressure as temperature changes. I've had zero pros on my last two M's and can complain one bit about them.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Can't say I've had any of the issues, I won't run anything but air, shocks like the exits are STOOPID heavy, and I want my sleds light.

How much do you weigh, that's question #1, if you're 230 or so+ and are a hard rider, floats just aren't for you. If you're not, get them revalved and get thicker oil in them. If you have better damping, slight differences in the spring (PSI) aren't such an issue. I run my sleds all year & probably check a few times or so, usually because I'm doing something where I want more PSI (big drop) and then want to go back after. I change my rear suspension for different properties much more often.

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
A good revalve makes a HUGE difference on these float shocks. I didn't believe the hype until I did it myself. Revalved for your weight and sled and style will help work out many of the issues you are talking about and it's a really cheap place to start. I've always used Andy as GSR.. quick turn-around and easy to deal with.

montananate

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
Great Falls, MT
Can't say I've had any of the issues, I won't run anything but air, shocks like the exits are STOOPID heavy, and I want my sleds light.

How much do you weigh, that's question #1, if you're 230 or so+ and are a hard rider, floats just aren't for you. If you're not, get them revalved and get thicker oil in them. If you have better damping, slight differences in the spring (PSI) aren't such an issue. I run my sleds all year & probably check a few times or so, usually because I'm doing something where I want more PSI (big drop) and then want to go back after. I change my rear suspension for different properties much more often.

Like I said 240-260#s with fuel and gear. I ride pretty aggressively I am no where near a pro and I don't do any big drops, but anything that looks like I can jump off of with out killing myself or anytime I can stand it on its tail is a good time. I like to ride as much deep powder as possible and get into the trees enough for me to see where I am going to run out of talent. So based on that I take it that your recommendation is air shocks may not be my cup of tea?

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
No one has brought it up but I switched all my floats to raptor shocks and couldn't be happier. Definitely heavier but s little less so than exits.

montananate

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
Great Falls, MT
No one has brought it up but I switched all my floats to raptor shocks and couldn't be happier. Definitely heavier but s little less so than exits.

Yeah I hadn't thought about raptors. For some reason I thought they were crazy expensive but they seem in line with everybody else in the market. did you order them direct or from a dealer. What do they charge to set up the shock for you? they look like a pretty decent shock, were they easy to dial in once you got them on? How are they in deep powder in the mountains?

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
I got them direct and they matches best pricing for exits. They totally changed the sled on the trail and in the deep and trees. Very easy to setup and install except install requires heating belly pans to make clearance for the reservoir. That was easy though. Jake at Raptor was exceptional to deal with!!!

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I never was a fan of my Float's either. I just think it's stupied that people spend big $$$ to upgrade their Pro's and XM's with floats.
Look into getting them filled with Nitrogen. [Nitrogen wont increase or decrease pressure as temperature changes.] I've had zero pros on my last two M's and can complain one bit about them.

Huh? Please do explain the physics of this magic gas that defies all known gas laws. Not to say pure nitrogen isn't a better shock charge, but anyone that recalls some basic chemistry should see the flaw in the above statement. No bs allowed:light:

Premium Features