• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Checking runout on 800 HO

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
Hello every one, I checked the runout of my crank and it's .006" with the plugs in. Now I clamped a dial indicator to engine and put the little wheel of the dial indicator at the end of the stub as far out as I could and that's how I got my readings. Is that how I'm supposed to do it? I'm pretty sure with those kinda of readings it's not safe to run engine right? It caused me a huge deal of problems last year about my primary having massive slippage, so severe it destroyed a primary in 10 min. I blew a belt WOT, and hit the rev limiter for a few seconds so I'm pretty sure that's how it happened. I'm pretty sure my best option is to buy a new crate engine and sell this one. Just looking for some feedback as to what my best option is, and if that's a proper way of checking runout. Plus after changing motor mounts the engine vibrates really bad at idle. Engine is pulled out currently. Thanks!

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
It seems like generally you check run out right about where the back of the clutch is seated

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Its not that big a deal to pull the engine apart and get the crank trued up. A hundred bucks to true the crank and a $70 gasket set.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Find a crank guy (a good one) in your area and take your crank in. 6 thou in the case is lots.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
He said as far out on the stub as he could not in the case. Chances are it is out and as said take it in. Also there's a good chance when you do take it apart you'll find something else.

Premium Features