• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BMP torsional clutch kit

N
Aug 28, 2011
Hi I just swapped my secondary helix and internal for the BMP torsional kit, and now when I try to run it the belt just sags down in to the secondary making the primary burn the belt.
so the problem is that the secondary wont Close the way it should.
when I had the original cat parts with a bearing at the bottom I had no issues at all but now it just wont work.
whats wrong with it?

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
i hate to say this...but problem sounds very farmilar. My friend installed one of those clutch kits and was having basically the same issues. tried calling & emailing BMP multiple times and they basically gave him ZERO customer service. The Fix: return to stock and clutch kit back in the box and on craigslist. I hope you can resolve the issues because i know those clutch kits do get great reviews.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Sounds like your spring is not doing its job. With the stock setup you just put everything together without having to pre-load the spring. With a torsion setup you HAVE to pre-load the spring when you put it together. The stock setup just compresses the spring, a torsion setup twists and compresses the spring. If that twist motion isnt set properly with some pre-load tension that it wont work.

N
Aug 28, 2011
But there are holes that u put The spring into, I did just that then put it together with a press. Do u know how to assemble it correctly?

R
Sep 2, 2014
As Rixster said you have to apply some pre-load tension to the spring when assembling. As far as I know, it´s done by rotating the cover that holds the other end of the spring before bolting it to the helix. Hope this helps.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
But there are holes that u put The spring into, I did just that then put it together with a press. Do u know how to assemble it correctly?

I havent seen the bmp kit but like stated above. you have got to twist the cover or cap as you press it down and put it together.

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
the helix cover needs to be clocked clock wise when installing. It would be easier to put the cover on the helix and then clock the whole helix with the spring in the desired hole in the cover. Then install the screws from the backside of the sheave. My buddy has this set up and works great when installed correctly. Snap a picture of your cover so we know what style you have, I cant remember if they changed it over the years or not.

Last edited:
A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
Another thought... what kind of belt deflection do you have when you first installed the clutch? How are you adjusting belt deflection?

M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
the helix cover needs to be clocked clock wise when installing. It would be easier to put the cover on the helix and then clock the whole helix with the spring in the desired hole in the cover. Then install the screws from the backside of the sheave. My buddy has this set up and works great when installed correctly. Snap a picture of your cover so we know what style you have, I cant remember if they changed it over the years or not.
Bingo, you went from a high tension spring to a low tension spring with tabs that relies on torsion and tension to close the clutch. It will give you better backshift and be less touchy for thst binding secondary. Put a set of heavier rollers in too

N
Aug 28, 2011
the belt deflection is a bit off but the same with the OE stuff and that pulls as it should.
using shim to adjust deflection

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
So what keeps that disc that you dropped in the bottom of the spring cup from spinning? it needs to be locked into place somehow. With the kit I am running you take one of the roller pins out and replace it with a longer pin that holds that piece in place. You can have that in the wrong spot too. it is very specific which pin to replace with the longer retainer pin.

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
Try clocking the entire helix clock wise over the rollers and tell us what results you see. What spring are you running??

Premium Features